Handout: Top 10 Things ESL Students Should Know About the Library
Online Library Reference Databases
(You don't need a password to use these on CBC campus. At home, log in with your student ID and Pin.)
Oxford Reference Online
EBSCOhost Middle Search Plus Magazines, reference books, biographies, primary sources, images.
Oxford English Dictionary (OED)
Encyclopedia Britannica Online
Daily Life Online Essays about the domestic, economic, religious, and other aspects of people's daily lives, ancient to modern.
CultureGrams Concise, readable information about countries and cultures.
MAS Ultra - School Edition
List of CBC Library language dictionaries
A few sample books and journals
Author: Blamires, Harry.Title: The Cassell guide to common errors in English /Publisher: London : Cassell, c1997.Call Number: PE1460 .B64 1997Location: Reference
Civics and citizenship toolkit: a collection of educational resources for immigrants / Publisher: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Institute of Museum and Library Services, U.S. Govt. Printing Office, 2007. Information about the toolkit.
Practice Makes Perfect : English Grammar for ESL Learners/by Swick 2005 (ebook)
Astronomy : A Self-Teaching Guide (7th Edition) - (ebook)
Astronomy (journal through ProQuest)
Local Public Library (Mid-Columbia Library) Resources
- Online Database Learning Express: free online practice tests from Mid-Columbia Library:
- Go to their Electronic Resources page;
- Scroll down to the end of the page and click on Learning Express Library;
- Click on "New User" to register for free;
- The Username should be your 14-digit mid-columbia library ID card number
- Make up a Password for yourself;
- Once logged in, to practice TOEFL: search "toefl" and you will find TOEFL iBT Reading, Speaking, Listening, Writing Practices and lessons
- Or click on "US Citizenship" tab and you can practice the 100 civics, history, and government sample questions for the citizenship test. (The USCIS government website also has Study Materials for the English Test and Study Materials for the Civics Test.)
Free Online Learning at Goodwill Community Foundation (‘hundreds of free online lessons on Computers, Reading, & Math)
Agenda Web (‘hundreds of free English exercises’)
Typing Web (‘free online typing tutor’)
Free Rice (‘vocabulary builder that helps to fight world hunger’)
OWL resources for ESL from the Purdue Online Writing Lab for second language writing.
Vocabulary Builder from Vocabulix, a commercial company (you can hear the pronunciations)
Activities for ESL students by The Internet TESL Journal
Learn English lessons from U.S.A Learns (for beginning and intermediate learners, you can hear the lessons with videos)
ESL Video Lessons from Real English (you can hear the lessons with videos)
Learner.org Interactives: Spelling Bee
Learner.org Storytelling: Cinderella
Dave’s ESL Café resources for students
Starfalls Learn to read website.
English Health Train: English language skills for health care
Other Useful webpages:
- Compass Test Prep
- Evaluating Sources| UC Berkeley Library "Evaluating Web Pages"
- CBC's Financial Aid page
- CBC's New Student page
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Narrative descriptions about occupations, particularly about training and advancement; by United States Dept. of Labor
- Sample occupation profile in Spanish using the free Google Translate service.
- Occupation Explorer by Washington State Employment Security Department
- Occupation Profile search by CareerOneStop, Sponsored by the U.S. Dept. of Labor
- go2web20.net: hundreds of “Web 2.0 Tools and Applications” for your computer
updated y.y. 5/2014