1. 34 Volume Print Set
The dictionary of art /Publisher: Grove's Dictionaries
Call Number: N31 .D5 1996
- This set is very comprehensive, including biographies and subject entries. The last volume is the index.
2. Oxford Reference Art & Architecture Set
- Search 15 art reference books online at once with Oxford Reference.
- The Oxford Dictionary of American Art and Artists
- The Grove Encyclopedia of American Art
- A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture
- The Oxford Dictionary of Art and Artists
- The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Art Terms
- The Oxford Dictionary of Art
- A Dictionary of Modern Design
- The Grove Encyclopedia of Classical Art and Architecture
- The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts
- A Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art
- The Oxford Companion to the Garden
- The Oxford Companion to the Photograph
- The Oxford Dictionary of the Renaissance
- The Oxford Companion to Western Art
- Do a quick keyword search in the catalog, e.g. dadaism or search for reference books on artists
- Look through the results, note the Location and Call Number of the books, e.g. Inner Visions: German Prints from the age of expressionism, Location: Main Collection, Call Number: N6868.5 .E9P7 1992
- To find more, you can click on a relevant title to view its Subject(s)
- Then click on the Subject links to find more books on the subject. For example, Subject(s): Dadaism
- Sample books that might be useful:
- History of modern design /Raizman, David Seth. Call Number:NK1175 .R35 2004 (For art & design class).
- Seattle as collector : Seattle Office of Arts & Cultural Affairs turns 40 : 40th anniversary exhibition at Seattle Art Museum / Call Number: N8845 .S4S42 2011.
- For books on specific artists, you should also try to search the catalogs of Richland Public Library and Mid-Columbia Libraries as well. These local public libraries may have a book on the artist you have chosen to research.
- Do a quick keyword search, e.g. constructivism AND art (limited to Full Text and CBC Title Collection). You can also search by artists' names and find articles about them and/or their works.
- You can then further "Narrow Results by Subject" using links (e.g. "CONSTRUCTIVISM (Art)", "Art Movements", etc.) shown to the left of the Result List
Use Interlibrary Loan for books & articles that CBC Library does not own
- Talk to a reference librarian in person or over the phone (509-542-4890)
- Fill out an online form to Request a book/book chapter
- Fill out an online form to Request a journal/magazine article
- Allow at least one to two weeks
- Use CBC Journal Finder
- Use the second box to "Browse e-journals by subject": "Art, Arthitecture & Applied Arts"
- Or search for a specific title such as Woman's art journal, Art in America, Art News
- Follow the links to browse periodicals online or request at circulation for those that says "CBC Pasco Paper Copies". For example, Art Journal is available through EBSCOhost.
- CAMIO : Digital art from world museums.
- National Gallery of Art Images
- Google Image Search
- Smithsonian American Art Museum: Search Collection and Biographies (Artist Search Tips)
- You can scan images found in the books using the color scanner in the library and print them out using the library's color printer (25 cent/pg)
- PBS's Art21 program videos
- The National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC
- Seattle Art Museum
- Web Gallery of Art
- Esvelt Gallery
- Gallery at the Park (Howard Amon Park in Richland): Featured Exhibit
- WSU Tri-cities: The Art Center
- Kennewick: Art in Downtown Kennewick
- Maryhill Museum of Art (About 2 hours drive from CBC; Hours & Admission)