To determine which actors have won awards, here are the official databases from the associations:
Academy Awards Database
Emmy Awards Database
Tony Awards Database
The CBC Library does not routinely purchase book length biographies of actors; these may be found in the public libraries. Numerous biography reference articles may be found in print at the CBC Library, as well as in some of our online databases such as the ebrary title, New Biographical Dictionary of Film by David Thomson (Knopf, 2004), and the Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Also try searching ebrary by keyword (name) or using a subject search such as Motion picture* AND Biography.
ProQuest holds many newspaper and magazine articles on actors; you may find you get better results by changing the search to 'person' and either searching last name first or using the 'look up' feature.
On Reference Reserve for Drama
- From Belasco to Brook : representative directors of the English-speaking stage / Samuel L. Leiter.
PN2597 .L45 1991
- From Stanislavsky to Barrault : representative directors of the European stage / Samuel L. Leiter.
PN2570 .L45 1991
- Great stage directors : 100 distinguished careers of the theater / Samuel L. Leiter
PN2205 .L44 1994
- Fifty key theatre directors / edited by Shomit Mitter and Maria Shevtsova
PN2053 .F54 2005
- Theatrical directors : a biographical dictionary / edited by John W. Frick & Stephen M. Vallillo.
PN2205 .T54 1994
Playwrights - The CBC Library's general biography resources mentioned above will also be useful for information about playwrights. In addition, playwrights are literary authors and are covered in literature reference sources. One database that we offer that contains many playwrights is ProQuest Learning: Literature. We also have substantial print reference in literature; for instance, you will find reference articles about Tennessee Williams in:
- American National Biography, volume 23 - Reference CT213 .A68 1999
- Dictionary of Literary Biography, volume 7 part 2 - Reference PN451 .D52 1981
- Critical Survey of Drama, volume 5 - Reference PR623 .C75 1985
The Richland Public Library includes the Biography Resource Center and the Literature Resource Center among their databases; the first may be useful for all three assignments, the last for the playwright presentation. All CBC Students may gain access, and even non-residents will have the fee waived if they show proof that they are a current student.
links updated 5/22/2013 cs